On 1 January, France took over the rotating Presidency of the Council of the EU for 6 months until 30 June 2022, for the first time in 14 years, taking it over from Slovenia who presided the past half year. The French Presidency has launched its official website and an official programme for the time of their leadership, presenting the objectives of their mandate.
The French Presidency has chosen the motto "Recovery, strength and a sense of belonging”, putting forward three ambitions for its programme:
1. A more sovereign Europe;
2. A new European model for growth;
3. A humane Europe;
Sport under the French Council Presidency
Following the 18-month Strategic Agenda from the Council of the European Union, co-developed by the current French Presidency, and the upcoming Czech and Swedish Presidencies, it is mentioned that the trio “will support work towards the recovery of the sports sector” and will “promote its role in society and its power to contribute to the improvement of health, the well-being of citizens and a more inclusive society”.
Various initiatives are already set in motion:
- Ministerial Conference on sports in childhood (7-8 February) to exchange on good practices and share expertise on the role of physical activity in the development phases of kids and teens;
- Ministerial Conference with the theme “Toward a Green Deal for Sport” (3 March) to agree on common objectives for sport;
- Regarding the European Sport Model: continuation of the debate following Slovenia’s work and the European Commission study (expected to be published early 2022);
- France will also support the European Commission’s initiative to fight against the piracy of live sporting events;